- Keep pets’ nails trimmed and their paws clean. Pets can track in substances that cause scratching and stains.
- Use a humidifier during the winter when you heater is in use to help reduce wood shrinkage and humidity between 35% and 55%.
- Use a dihumidifier during summer to reduce moisture caused by air conditioner. Humidity should be 35% to 55%.
- Solid Hardwood have a greater tendency to gap during winter months especially the wider the wood the larger the gap.
- Wipe up spills and spots immediately, to stop water wicking into surface.
- Vacuum or sweep your floor regularly with a soft-bristled attachment or broom, especially in high-traffic areas. This prevents gritty dirt and particle buildup that can scratch the wood’s surface. Don’t use vacuums with a beater bar or power rotary brush head.
- Use protective window coverings to block fade-causing UV rays and excessive heat from direct sunlight. Most wood types will gradually age when not covered, so it’s a good idea to rearrange rugs and furniture periodically to help it age evenly.
- Tom Adams recommends Bona Hardwood Cleaner or Hardsurface Cleaner along with a micro mop or a dry swifter.
- Always protect your hardwood floor with leg protectors and replace at least once a year, or as needed in heavy traffic areas such as foyer and kitchen
A Tip From Our Service Manager
Do NOT use any steam cleaners for your hardwood floor or rubber mats that may swell or discolor your floor permanently.