Windows have come a long way.
In the centuries before glazing technology was perfected, people made windows from things like parchment or animal hides, soaking these materials in oil to make them translucent.
These days, you don’t have to put that level of work into installing replacement windows.
In fact, replacement window installation in Bucks County doesn’t have to be a chore at all. Here are a few things to consider that can make things easier when you’re shopping for new windows.
Know Your Materials
When you’re looking for replacement windows, you have a number of type of materials to choose from. Here are some of the most popular, and the pros and cons that come from picking them, but remember not all wood, aluminum, fiberglass or vinyl windows are the same:
- Wood – Wooden frames are energy efficient and nice to look at, but need a lot of upkeep. Wood has the potential to rot or warp, which means wooden frames will need to be replaced more often.
- Aluminum – Aluminum or vinyl clad wood frames also require maintenance, not energy efficient and better for commercial than residential environments.
- Fiberglass – True fiberglass windows can give you the best of all worlds in terms of strength, maintenance and performance. Be sure to differentiate between fiberglass and Fibrex, which is vinyl disguised as fiberglass.
- Vinyl – Vinyl window on the inside / outside give your home a clean look with a high performance and no maintenance and a more affordable price than the other three options- but not all vinyl windows are alike
Look For Energy Efficiency
When you’re installing replacement windows, try to determine whether the windows
you’re considering are energy efficient.
Windows that carry the Energy Star certification can shave as much as 25 percent off your energy bill, thanks to the layers of Low E and argon gas insulation between the panels. In some cases, your utility company might offer financial incentives for installing windows and doors with this certification.
How do you know if your windows carry Energy Star certification? Look for the logo (pictured to the right). You’ll also find a number on the window. This is what’s known as its “U-factor” or “U-value,” usually somewhere between .20 and .30. The lower the number, the better the window does at keeping your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
When you’re installing replacement windows in Bucks County – subject to PA’s hot summers and cold winters – it’s important to find windows that are energy efficient. Given the number of hurricanes and major winter storms we’ve experienced in this area, it might be a good idea to seek out windows that are built for wind resistance. Ask about air infiltration along with the U factor, together they make a better window if it is installed correctly.
What to Ask Yourself, And What to Avoid
Replacement window installation in Bucks and Montgomery County and the Lehigh Valley can be a big investment. You need to feel comfortable with the product you’ve chosen and the company you’ve hired.
Here are some things to avoid:
- Avoid unsolicited offers. If they are knocking on your door, don’t answer. Contact local replacement window dealers and installers who have a proven track record and can provide you with quality references.
- Avoid hard sells. Don’t feel rushed by anyone saying “This price is just for today” or asking for a big down payment. Don’t make a final payment until the work is done.
- Avoid anyone who wants to be paid upfront in cash or who asks for more than 33% of the total cost before starting work. Check with the Better Business Bureau and other consumer groups to learn more about the replacement window company you’re considering. Pay by credit card so you have some recourse if the company doesn’t perform or show back up.
- Avoid spending too much. When Consumer Reports tested a number of double-hung clad wood windows last year, it found that the most expensive windows it examined were outperformed by their less costly counterparts.
Tom Adams Provides Simple Window Replacement in Bucks County
If you’re ready to replace your windows, talk to a Tom Adams sales representative in any of our four locations in Doylestown, Richboro-Churchville, Southampton and Whitehall.
Tom Adams Windows and Carpet has been providing its window expertise to customers in Bucks and Montgomery counties – as well as the Philadelphia area and the Lehigh Valley – for over 60 years.
All of our manufacturer’s Platinum and Platinum Plus warranties are enhanced with our exclusive lifetime labor ultimate installation warranty, which features lifetime protection against glass breakage, seal failure, and stress cracks, and covers all mechanical parts. Our installers are all certified for lead safety and AAMA installation methods. Remember: nobody beats our price
Contact us today to get started on your next window replacement project.